For an alternative hair style why not try a crimped effect. This can be created with crimping irons but if you want to achieve this hair style without the heat damage that can occur with the over use of crimpers or even something to keep the kids amused this could be fun to try.
Tools and other items you will
- Covered elastic bands
- Paddle or similar brush to remove
- Gel or mousse and possibly some
- A large comb
- A clip to keep hair not being
plaited out of the way
The size/number of plaits you
create will give you a different effect:
- For large gentle waves divide
your hair up into about 6 sections and plait loosely.
- For stronger waves, 6 sections
will again be about right but plait the hair tightly.
- For sharp zigzag waves or that
crimped effect, you will need at least 14 sections, the more
the "ziggier" it will be.
- You don't need to shampoo your
hair to do this, just dampen it a little.
- Comb through some gel or mousse.
- Divide your hair roughly into
the number of sections you want. The rougher the sections the
better as the ''section marks' in the final look will not be
- Divide each section the same as
for a simple plait (see below) and start plaiting as close to
the scalp as possible.
- Finish as near to the ends as
as you can.
- Carefully secure with a covered
band so that it does not become undone, but not so tight as
to bend the ends upwards, as this will be reflected in the finished
- Leave overnight.
- Remove in the morning and either
shake out with your hands or brush through lightly. Brushing
will give a bigger, more full effect.
- Smooth out any 'frizzies' using
drops or oil spread over your hands then stroked down the length
of your hair.
Use the simple plaiting method below or go to the
section for more detail
Visitors to this page also went to:
Styling with flat irons or crimpers
French Plaiting or 'braiding'
Plaiting gallery of hair styles
Cuts to suit you
Hair coloring, perming and chemical straightening
Hair salons - getting the most from your next salon visit
More about your hair type